The Department of Pharmacology came to existence in the month of April 2004 much before the 1st batch started their 2nd year Para clinical subjects. The department consists of two well planned spacious laboratories for Experimental Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology with facility for practical work for hundred undergraduate students each. Both the laboratories are well equipped, as per MCI norms.
The department is having three spacious demo rooms with capacity of eighty each to accommodate the students for the small group discussion, doubt clarification and assignments for the Undergraduate students.
The department is fully equipped with instruments for practical, demonstrations for U.G, and P.G Pharmacology students
Museum in the Department is very spacious and provided with :
- Drug samples - 500
- Laminated Photographs - 47
- Laminated Boards - 52
- Crude drug samples - 50
- History of Medicine
- Specimen of Medicinal Plants
The department is having a Research laboratory for the postgraduate students and faculty members to carry out animal experiments and is furnished with adequate instruments and infrastructures.
Central Research laboratory (CRL) has been established in Pharmacology department with adequate advanced instruments for intradepartmental, inter-departmental and collaborative researches.
The department is recognized for an annual intake of three post graduate (MD Pharmacology) students. Three batches of Post graduate students have successfully completed their post graduation. It is a recognized PhD center.
The departmental library cum seminar room is spacious to accommodate 20 participants at a time. There are 150 books in the library.
The Central Animal House with facility for animal experimentation, Operation Theatre is under the control of Department of Pharmacology. It is already registered with an independent Animal Ethics Committee.
Well trained qualified faculty members have remained an asset for the department. They attend CME, workshop and conferences to keep themselves up-to-date. The learning and teaching experience for students and teachers been outstanding.
Facilities available :
- Lecture Gallery
- Demo Rooms -3
- Students Practical Hall - 2
- Research laboratory
- Staff Rooms
- Sectional Library
- Research laboratory
- Central research laboratory (CRL)
Equipments for Research laboratory :
- Eddy's Hot plate
- Rota rod
- Y maze
- Elevated plus maze
- Hebb willium's maze
- Cooke's pole climbing apparatus
- Swimming test apparatus
- Flicker fusion apparatus
- Hand steady meter
- Multiple response meter
- PH meter
- Histamine chamber
- Mammalian hear perfusion assembly
- Two unit isolated organ bath and Cook's pole climbing apparatus.
- Research Kymograph with accessories
- High speed research Kymograph with ventilator
Equipments for Central Research Lab :
- Electrophoresis Tank - Vertical
- Electrophoresis power pack
- Incubator shaker
- PH Meter
- Magnetic stirrer with hot plate
- Spectrophotometer meter
- Hot air oven
- Water bath
- Micropipettes fixed volume
- Micropipettes variable volume
- Vortex mixture
- Binocular microscope
- Distilled water plant
- Computer with printer
- Helena Digital Electrophoresis
- Thermo cycler (PCR)
The University results for Pharmacology in second MBBS examination have remained constantly excellent.(> 95% pass rate) from the date of inception. The students of this department have bagged the highest mark in the university in many occasions. The post graduate result has also been excellent.
- Effect of Atorvastatin on memory in albino mice RinkuRani Biswas,Mangala Charana Das,ASR Srinivas Rao,SLDV Ramana Murty Kodali Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2014 November, Vol-8(11): HF01-HF04
- Antidepressant activity of brahmi in albino mice SLDV Ramana Murty Kodali,Mangala Charana Das,ASR Srinivas Rao, Karuna Sri.G Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2014 March, Vol-8(3): 35-37
- Anti-convulsant action and amelioration of oxidative stress by Glycyrrhiza glabra root extract in pentylenetetrazole- induced seizure in albino rats Bimalendu Chowdhury, Subrat K. Bhattamisra, Mangala Charan Das http://www.ijp-online.com on Monday, January 28, 2013, IP: 126.96.36.199
- Anti-Ulcer Activity of Aqueous and Ethanolic Leaf Extract of Krishna Tulasi (Ocimum sanctum) in Albino Rats Bharat Bhusan Mohapatra, Mangala Charan Das, Subas Chandra Dinda, and KEV Nagojia Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences ISSN: 0975-8585 April - June 2013 RJPBCS Volume 4 Issue 2 Page No. 961
- Anti-Ulcer Activity of Aqueous and Ethanolic Leaf Extract of Tulasi (Ocimum sanctum) in Albino Rats Bharat Bhusan Mohapatra, Mangala Charan Das, Subas Chandra Dinda, K. E. V. Nagojia Journal of Pharmacy Research 2012,5(8),4060-4062 ISSN: 0974-6943 Research Article - Available online through www.jpronline.info
- Anti-ulcer activity of aqueous and ethanolic leaf extract of neem (Azadirachta indica) in albino rats. Bharat Bhusan Mohapatra, Mangala Charan Das, Subas Chandra Dinda, K. E. V. Nagojia Journal of Pharmacy Research 2012,5(3),1571-1573 ISSN: 0974-6943 Research Article-Available online through www.jpronline.info