Our department started functioning; to begin with, with the investigations for the patients of NRIGH in the month of July 2003 and in addition, teaching of I batch of III semester medical students and paramedics from 8-12-2004. As on today 9 regular batches of students passed out Pathology and left the department.
THE INFRASTRUCTURE :
THE INFRASTRUCTURE is provided in the college as per MCI norms; that include An A/C lecture gallery of 200 student capacity equipped for power point presentation and other audiovisual aids.
- Two well equipped practical halls of 100 student capacity each; one for clinical pathology exercises and the other for histopathology practical.
- Four demonstration rooms of 75 student capacity each.
- There are 3 service labs for histopathology, cytology and hematology of 30 sq.mts each, in the college.
- Pathology museum with 300 mounted specimens & with concerned manuals for the utility of students of Pathology, Gynaecology, Surgery and for other medicos.
- Well ventilated Staff rooms for teaching and non teaching staff as well as for PGs are available.
- Two computers both with internet facility are available in the department.
- Online reporting through HIMS available for clinical pathology, cytology and histopathology.
SERVICES OFFERRED :
The department provides teaching along with research. At any given time, Four M.D postgraduates, 3 batches of medical students, 2 batches of dental students and paramedical students belonging to Nursing, BSc MLT, DMLT.
The Clinical pathology wing in the hospital as a part of the Central labs, functions 24 hours a day, all through the year with a Coordinated functioning of faculty, technical and other staff; catering to a work load of 700 samples of hematology, 20 samples of histopathology, 15 samples of FNAC & Cytology each on average every day, in addition to a number of other less common tests. Cell counter & facilities for bone marrow aspiration, biopsy & frozen section are provided in the lab. One of the notable features of this clinical laboratory is the internal quality control is carried out daily lab is enrolled with external quality assessment programs from BIORAD and AIIMS to maintain a very high laboratory standard to offer better patient care. In addition to the above, nineteen Immuno histochemistry markers are carried out for proper treatment and assessment of prognosis in various malignancies. We are proud to say that clinical pathology lab is NABL accrediated since 2014.
A licensed Blood bank, under the control of Superintendent of NRIGH is headed by a Professor of Pathology, will have about 200 units of stored blood at any given day with an average consumption of 20 units/day and also specific components separated with the equipment available in the blood bank.
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS :
The faculty of Pathology in addition to regular teaching and guiding the postgraduates, attended many conferences at regional, state, national and international level and presented papers and chaired many sessions in them. There are 12 papers published in various reputed journals presented by the department faculty in these 10 years of tenure.
- A rare case of cellular schwannoma in the pharynx. Indian Journal of Pathology & Microbiology 2007;50(4):835-837
- A case of post- hysterectomy ectopic tubal pregnancy Indian Journal of Pathology & Microbiology 2007;50(3):558-559
- Debdatta Basu, Parsappa J Yarnal, Koti Kalyan and Jayanthi Soundararaghvan. Mantle Cell Lymphoma - a clinicopathological study of 13 cases. Malaysian J of Pathol 2005; 27(1) : 17-22
- Koti Kalyan, Debdatta Basu, Jayanthi Soundararaghavan. Immunophenotyping of Hodgkin's disease an aid to its classification. Indian J of Pathol and Microbiol 2006; 49(2):173-177.
- Koti Kalyan, Debdatta Basu, Jayanthi Soundararaghavan Immunohistochemical typing of non- Hodgkin's Lymphomas-comparing working formulation and WHO classification. Indian J of Pathol and Microbiol 2006; 49(2):203-207.
- Koti Kalyan, Srinivasulu kande, Premalatha Pidakala, Krishna Ravi. Generalized arterial calcification in an new born: An autopsy case report Indian J of Pathol and Microbiol 2010, 53(4):887-888.
- Ghanta RK, Koti K, Kongara S, MeyerGE. Surgical excision of hypothalamic hamartoma in a twenty month old baby with precocious puberty. Indian J Endocr Metab 2011; 15:255--8.
- Dr K Srinivasulu, Dr V Tejeswini, Dr K Kalyan Isolated splenic metastus is of melanoma masquerading as pancreatic pseudocyst JDMS
- Dr. T. Neelima & Dr. P. Premalatha Professor&HOD. FNAC study of lymphnodes in HIV seropositive case with WHO clinical staging and hematological alterations- ; Published in indian journal of medical research.
- Dr V. Tejeswini, Dr K. Srinivasulu, Dr P. Premalatha, Dr T. Rayapa Reddy; Correlation of granularity index , toxic granulation of neutrophils by manual microscopy and CRP. IOSR-JDMS
- Kalyan Koti, Rayapa Reddy Thumma, Swathantra Nagarajam, Atchyutha Mathi. Hashimotos thyroiditis associated with Evans syndrome: A rare case report on the clustered Autoimmune traid. Indian journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism / Jul-Aug 2013/ Vol 17 / Issue 4.
- Anji Reddy Kallam, R. Krisha, Rayapa Reddy Thumma, Vidya Kedarsetty. Mixed tumor of Ala nasi: A rare case report and review. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 Sept, Vol-7(9): 2019-2020.
- Dr. V. Tejeswini, Assistant Professor, Dr. P. Premalatha, Professor & HOD; Study of morphological patterns of ovarian neoplasms- Published in IOSR journal of dental and medical sciences, October issue
- Dr.Ch. Jyothi III yr. PG & Dr. N. Swathantra. Papillary carcinoma of thyroid - an unusual coexistence of metastasis and tuberculosis in the cervical lymph nodes- Medical Journal of Dr. D.Y. Patil University | January-February 2014 | Vol 7 | Issue 1
- A Rare Skull Base Metastatic Follicular thyroid carcinoma presenting as Sinonasal Carcinoma. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR -JDMS) Volume 13, Issue 5 Ver. V. (May.2014), PP 66-69.
- Dysplastic ischtyosis uteri of endometrium associated with squamous cell carcinoma insitu of cervix - does it have malignant potential. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. Volume 13, Issue 6 ver. III (Jun. 2014), PP 64-67.
CME conducted :
- The department has conducted one day Mid term CME, IAPM, AP state chapter on - Renal pathology - on 16-03-14.
- The department of pathology has also conducted two Dr. NTR UHS Zonal CME programmes Gastrointestinal pathology conducted on 29-05-2011
- Dermatopathology Conducted on 2-2-2014